[pptp-server] Debian pptp package?

Tamas SZERB toma at rulez.org
Tue Feb 20 09:28:25 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Chris Wood wrote:

> I noticed that Debian has the pptp package now.  Does anyone know what
> level of encryption it uses?  I know some of the patches I applied were to
> ppp itself.  Life would be simpler if I could use the Debian package and
> dselect, since last time I ran dselect it updated my ppp which broke my
> pptp setup.

no, it has no mppe patch to the pppd -- the ppp makes the encryption
itself.

but you can download the debian source package eg. with the ``apt-get
source pptp'' command, and you'll need some other packages such as
fakeroot and debhelper, and the you can ``fakeroot debian/rules binary''
use to create the package from the unpacked source tree.

at last, you need:

``echo pppd hold|dpkg --set-selection'' to not upgrade the this modified
pppd (now with mppe encryption) - but be careful and keep tracking the
bugs and security exploits, and etc.

--
VWOL
Tamas SZERB <toma at rulez.org>