[pptp-server] Internal DNS server blues

David LANDGREN dlandgre at bpinet.com
Wed Feb 21 10:07:07 CST 2001

Hello list,

I believe I have all the kinks ironed out of my setup pptp 1.0.1 on OpenBSD
2.7. The only remaining problem I have is negotiating the addresses of my
internal DNS servers. In fact, the negotiation works quite fine. Here's how

/etc/ppp/options contains

     ms-dns 192.168.0.8
     ms-dns 192.168.0.18
     ms-wins 192.168.0.1

and /etc/ppp/ppp.conf contains

pptp:
 set log phase chat connect lcp ipcp tun command # lqm

 set login
 set timeout 0
 set speed 115200
 set ifaddr 192.168.3.0 192.168.3.128-192.168.3.143 255.255.255.255
 set server /tmp/pptploop%d "" 0177
 set dns 192.168.0.8 192.168.0.18

All is well and good, however...

The clients initially dial up via modem, and the connection to the initial
ISP negotiates two public DNS servers, 194.x.y.z whatever. On successfully
connecting to the ISP, the client then connects through MS VPN to my
private network. At this point things get rather bizarre. What happens is
the addresses of my two internal DNS servers, rather than replacing the two
public addresses, get tacked onto the end. So when I run winipcfg on the
ppp interface on the client, I get four separate DNS addresses, my two
coming after the first two.

What this means is that the client is unable to resolve the name of
anything inside my network. What I really want to do is to wipe out the
initial DNS addresses that were given during the initial dial-up and
replace them with my internal addresses. Because in any event, if my
internal DNS servers can't resolve an address (because its an outside
machine), they will forward the request onto those two public DNS servers
anyway.

Does anyone have this setup ?

Thanks,
David