[pptp-server] Netmask woes... Last thing I'm sure.

Robert Dege rcd at amherst.com
Thu Feb 22 16:17:32 CST 2001

> A simple test would be to (from the remote PPTP client):
>
> 1) ping the remote ip address of the PPTP server's ppp* ip address, this is
> not the eth0 device. If you get a reply, then...
> 2) ping the eth0 ip address of the PPTP server. If you get a reply, then...
> 3) ping another server on the same LAN as the pptp server. If you get a
> reply, then layer 3 is functional.
>
> If you do not get a reply to any of the above, then the following are
> possible culprits:
>    * The eth* device on the PPTP server is not being set
>      to "proxyarp" for the ppp* devices.
>    * IP_FORWARDING is not enabled on the PPTP server.
>    * ipchain rules are not allowing forwarding from device
>      eth* to ppp* and vice-versa
>

> Once you resolve the above issues, MS Networking should start working if
> your WINS server is functional and other clients have registered with it. If
> you know it is, then I would check to be sure there is not an ipchain rule
> on the PPTP server that is blocking ports 137:139 from being passed to the
> PPTP client.
>
> Steve Cowles

I too am having similar problems as .... Dread Boy.  I posted earlier
about it, but became so frustrated with NetBios that I decided to take a
little vacation from that project :)

Anyways, my question.  We are converting to DHCP, so pinging machines is
not as easy since there is not an easy way to resolve NetBios name to
IP.  I was able to pass the 3 Steve Cowles tests with flying colors, but
still suffer the fate of Net Hood failure.  Does it matter if I have
Network firewalling (ipchains) disabled in my kernel?  I assumed that
NOT having it installed would be the equivalent as having ACCEPT for
forwards, inputs & outputs.

-Rob