[pptp-server] unable to browse network using WIN NT Client -> LINUX pptpd server

Bjorn Kuiper kub at cfc.at
Fri Feb 23 03:35:31 CST 2001

Hello,

I'm trying now for 2 days in a row to make it all work.
The connection is made and i can add any share as a mapped
drive to my NT client. But i'm not able to browse the network
enviroment on the client.

There were about four solutions given to this problem and i
tried almost everyone of them.

first of all a small description of the current status. i want to
connect with my win NT client to a linux pptpd server which
is connect to the local network. i can ping every host on the
local network and can map any share to a drive. the only problem
is to 'browse' through the network.

the solutions that are mentioned on this list:
- edit your lmhosts and hosts file
- make your linux server a master browser
- make your linux server a wins server/or any other machine in the network.

i edit my lmhosts and hosts file. the hosts file is ofcourse no problem.
the lmhosts file has some extra setting, you can specify an DOMain-
controller by adding #DOM:<domain> behind the machines name and ip.

This didn't get the preferred result. it's just makes the DNS server
a bit more useless on the localnetwork and spares some bandwith.

Then i made the linux machine as master browser (using ofcourse samba).

But if i don't change anything in the /etc/ppp/options file nothing happens.
No (extra) data is send between the host and server.

the only thing wat always happens is that my client tries to send a first
query to the name server and get's a respons (btw: it always a fault request.
the name asked to resolve is wrong and has always the same error at the end,
but everything is typed right in my hosts and lmhosts file).

If i change wins-server to my linux pptpd server (now running as master
browser) then some data is sent between them, but this ofcourse falls.

(there exchanging smb 'requests' and 'negatives')

Then i tried something else, i set wins-server <host> to my main DOMAIN-
CONTROLLER on the local network. now i CAN SEE every machine on
the network while browsing, but i can only access the NT machines that
are known as SERVERS and not as WORKSTATIONS.
This is probably normal, but i don't want to setup a WINS-server because
,if i'm right,  then every machine on the localnetwork has to change
his settings to access and report to the local WINS-server!?

So my question on the end,
Does anybody knows a solution so i can browse the network, without
having to change the configuration of all the machines on the local
network? Did i somewho missed an option somewhere?

Greetings,

Bjorn