[pptp-server] Encrypted passwords in chap-secrets file

Dread Boy dreadboy at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 17:34:14 CST 2001

Glenn, you have to compile in two additional patches into ppp when you build
it.

1) pppsmb.pat - This patch allows you to authenticate using list from
/etc/smbpasswd.

2) strip-MSdomain-patch.diff - This patch strips off the preceeding
DOMAINNAME from DOMAINNAME\\username that Windoze clients send,
frustratingly enough.  Is it imparitive that the DOMAINNAME/WORKGROUP be
parsed off before smbpasswd can be used for authentication.

Also, you will need libsmbpw.so source.  This library is required for SMB
authentication.  Just download the tarball, untar it, make it, then the
remaining instructions on where to put the ".so" file and the link are
included.  I put them in /usr/lib on my Redhat 6.2 installation.

There are links to all of these files in this archive.  You just have to
dig.  Currently, I'm writing a new HOWTO (for dummies) for all this stuff
for those of us (like me) who have had much trouble even re-compiling my
kernel to support pptpd for so long.

One thing though, I can't finish the HOWTO until I get a few more questions
answered first.  My remote dial-up/connections work from anywhere with every
version of Windoze I've tried so far, however I still can not ping or see
any machines on the LAN remotely.  Until I get these problems solved, I
can't finish the "easy pptpd HOWTO for MS Clients".  Once I do, however, I
will be posting it along with every possible required file on my web site so
everyone can grab all of the right files from one location.