[pptp-server] Net Neighborhood is misbehavin'

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Feb 26 20:40:09 CST 2001

> In the history section, item 3 and 5 contradict each other.  I'll *assume*
> that is a typo in item 3.

Step 3 was the setup of the network prior to the inclusion of the PPTP
server.  Since the PPTP server was installed, a WINS server was added to
the network.  But only a few machines (6) are pointing to the WINS
server.... until this problem is solved.

> One thing that immediately springs to mind is are *ANY* of the clients (or
> servers) running more than one protocol?  If so, this can really screw up the
> elections.  Screwed up elections mean screwed up browsing.

Client for Novell Networks is installed as well as IPX/SPX protocol.
Can NetBIOS be directed to run over IPX instead of TCP/IP?

> The other thing I noticed is from your comments, it looks like you might be
> running multiple subnets.  Correct?

Our network is a Class B network (255.255.0.0)  Our IP addresses range
from 172.28.0.0 - 172.28.255.255

-Rob