[pptp-server] Max. Number of Clients?

Torge Szczepanek pptp at szczepanek.de
Sun Jan 14 02:33:45 CST 2001

Hi!

I am planning to use PoPTop as a server for a billing system for student
hostels. EVERY client should authenticate itself using a VPN connection to
the pptpd.

How many client connections are possible using pptpd? About two months ago I
found somewhere a page, where some limits where mentioned(Limit of 100
pppds? Limit of Unix ptys?,...) and that it is possible to go beyond these
limits. How?

What hardware do I need for lets say about 500 or 1000 users? One single
processor machine (Athlon 1000)? One SMP machine? More machines? How much
memory will I need per 1 user? Encryption is not needed.

I like to test this system in the near future with about 500 users.

Torge Szczepanek