[pptp-server] Can't Ping a Thing

Michael Ward mward at gwtr.com
Wed Jan 24 13:01:14 CST 2001

Good news to report -

Thanks to all the help from this group I now can ping (and therefore have
access to) resources on my private network from remotely connected pptp
clients.

I've seen that other folks are having the same trouble so I'm going to tell
you what is in place to make my connection work.  It's basically a
compilation of replies from contributors to this list.  I will not be
detailed, being a beginner with all this, but I think it will be helpful for
other beginners.

1.  I've got the ppptp daemon running (per how-to at poptop.lineo.com,
including pptpd.conf and chap-secrets)
2.  Win98 client configured - tcp/ip properties are set to let server assign
ip address
3.  ipforwarding enabled in linux kernel (it was enabled by default on my
redhat 7.0 box)
	To check if IP_FORWARDING is currently enabled, type (as root):
	cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
	If it returns 0, then IP_FORWARDING is disabled.
	To enable IP_FORWARDING (without re-booting), type (as root):
	echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
	To ensure that IP_FORWARDING will be enabled at system boot-up,
edit:
	/etc/sysconfig/network
	and ensure that the FORWARD_IPV4 variable is set to "yes".
4. PPTP server's LAN Ethernet interface *MUST* be known as the proxy arp
	check /var/log/messaging for a proxyarp entry.
	check /etc/ppp/options add proxyarp if missing
	(see Steve Cowles post, 1/23/01)
5. IPChains - I have *No* rules setup in my ipchains and my connection works
perfectly.  This is because, in the absence rules, the built-in chains
(input, output & forward) use their respective 'policy' to decide the fate
of any packet.  The default policy for all chains is ACCEPT, therefore all
packets are accepted.  This is obviously not a secure state to leave your
server in.  I personally like to get new services like pptp running without
complication, then add things like encryption and ipchains one at a time to
ease resolution of problems that may occur.
6.  Samba - While trying to figure out how to fix my lack of ping problem it
was suggested to me that Samba would help me out.  It turns out that Samba
is not required at all for pptp clients to access resources on my private
network
7. Default route - This also is not required

In my configuration clients are assigned addresses from the same subnet as
my private network.

BTW - If anyone cares to know, here's what was wrong with my setup that
prevented me from pinging private network resources from a connected pptp
client (if I was the type to get embarrassed this would do it)....

I had initially configured my win98 client to use a particular IP address,
instead of letting the server assign it.  I guess I was thinking I'd know
exactly what IP address I should be able to ping when it connected.  This
was before I understood that an address would be assigned from the
pptpd.conf file.  The first 'localip' address available (per my pptpd.conf
file) was the exact same ip address that I had statically assigned to my
remote win98 client (see where we're going here?) so....

As I followed through on the many suggestions I received from this list, it
turned into a process of elimination.  i.e. ipforwarding was indeed enabled
on my box, proxyarp was in my /etc/ppp/options file.  So as I went through
suggestions I eliminated them as the potential problem UNTIL - I checked
/var/log/messages and saw that both ends of my tunnel had the same ip
address.  I reconfigured my win98 client to let the server assign an address
and that was it.  Lesson learned.

Michael Ward
Global Water Technologies, Inc.
email: mward at gwtr.com