[pptp-server] Problem Solved: Could not determine local IP address.

Jason Osborne jason at sohonetworks.cc
Thu Jan 25 12:36:02 CST 2001

	Hello, I just thought I would post of the results on this error for those
of you running poptop on ISDN. I have finally solved my problem with the
help of the comp.protocols.ppp newsgroup. The problem that was causing the
error, "Could not determine local IP address", was caused by an option in my
isdn's options file. The option giving me this error was "noipdefault".
	After researching the this option, it appears that it, in some way, affects
the pptpd connection causing it to ask the client connection for the local
ip address. Of course, it doesn't have a clue so pptpd errors out. When the
option is removed, the client excepts pptpd default ip address (or list) and
connects successfully. I have attached my ISDN and VPN option files for
those who are interested. If you are having a similar problem with ISDN and
it is ppp related, I advise you check out the newsgroup. They're really
terrific.
	Finally, thanks to those who provided some insight into the problem.
Specifically, George Vieira, Javier Cuevas, and Jerry Vonau. And special
thanks to the guy who gave me the answer over at comp.protocols.ppp, James
Carlson. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again, Jason.

Short snippet from James' email...

So, back to the original problem, there's a "noipdefault" somewhere in
the configuration being read for this PPTP session, and this must be
removed because the peer system doesn't know the local IP address, and
simply (and bogusly) acks 0.0.0.0.

==> From the pppd man page <==
noipdefault
Disables  the  default behaviour when no local IP address is specified,
which is to determine (if possi­ble) the local IP address from the hostname.
With this option, the peer will have to supply  the  local IP  address
during IPCP negotiation (unless it specified explicitly on the command line
or in an options file).

==> /etc/ppp/options <==
lock
modem
crtscts
asyncmap 20A0000
defaultroute
debug
user lcarpet
#### noipdefault #### Remove this to fix problem.
noauth
nodetach

==> /etc/ppp/options.vpn <==
lock