[pptp-server] win2k client --->NAT---->PPTP Server

Mike Millner mikem99 at qwest.net
Sun Jan 28 22:51:17 CST 2001

Hello, this is my first post to this list. I'm having a problem getting the PPTP connection to work. If I give the laptop a public address it makes the PPTP connection just fine.

Here is my setup:

win2k laptop                            Redhat 6.1 kernel
10.5.1.2       -------------------------> 2.2.12-20                 ----------------------------------------------->PPTP endpoint
                                              eth0 63.x.x.x (public)
                                              eth1 10.5.1.1

Nat is working fine. The win2k machine can browse web sites, ftp, telnet just fine. When I try to connect the PPTP connection I get: connecting, verifying user name and password, then "The specified port is not connected".

I've been reading a lot and it seems that I need to allow port 1723 and protocol 47.

These two lines have NAT working fine:
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 10.5.1.0/24 -j MASQ

This Linux box has ipchains, ipmasqadm, and ipfwd installed. I'm pretty sure I have everything installed that I need. I just don't know the syntax for the port forwarding and the protocol allowing.

These are some of the things I've tried:

/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L 63.x.x.x 1723 -R 10.5.1.1 1723

/sbin/ipchains -A input -p TCP -i eth0 --dport 1723 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -A input -p 47 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

/usr/local/sbin/ipfwd --masq 10.5.1.1 47 &

I believe I'm real close. After staring at all day and changing things I'm asking for some help from a fresh pair of eyes.

Thanks,
Mike