[pptp-server] Error 742

Sean Riley sean at therileys.org
Tue Jul 10 20:23:39 CDT 2001

Hi all-

Prelude
I'm new to the list, and am stumped.  I have made many attemtps to find the
answer that works for me with a seemingly common problem (many posts on it)

I apologize if has been covered millions of times.  :-)

Problem
After many days of fighting compile problems I finally think I have the
modules compiled successfully (make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/net) and have
ppp_deflate.o ppp_mppe.o bsd_comp.o compiled, and in the my
lib/modules/2.2.19-7.0.1/net dir.

When I connect with Win2K client without encryption all is fine, when I
specify encryption I get Error 742.

Searching the lists I find that modules.conf missing the ppp-compress-18
ppp_mppe will cause this.......  Problem is I have that line in my
modules.conf file.

Here is my modules.conf:
alias eth0 ne2k-pci
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias char-major-108 off
alias ppp-compress-18 ppp_mppe
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

Here is the results of an lsmod after I try and connect (but fail with error
742)
Module                  Size  Used by
ppp_deflate            40244   0  (autoclean)
ppp_mppe               13596   0  (autoclean)
bsd_comp                3824   0  (autoclean)
ppp                    20876   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate ppp_mppe bsd_comp]
slhc                    4536   0  (autoclean) [ppp]
ne2k-pci                4796   1  (autoclean)
8390                    6076   0  (autoclean) [ne2k-pci]

I would love some assitence.  Let me know if I failed to include some crucial
info.

TIA

SR