[pptp-server] WIN98 BlackMagic

mduran at bamo.com mduran at bamo.com
Mon Jun 4 18:40:41 CDT 2001

Hello,
We recently established a VPN server which is running Linux.  My WIN98
machine can log-on via the VPN DialUp adapter without any problems.  Once
I'm on the intneral network, I can ping various machines including our file
server with which is running Linux with Samba.  My problem is that when I
try to map a drive to the fileserver with a UNC path
(\\pcname\fileservername) Windows returns the message; "the computer or
sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it in correctly and try
again" .  I've double checked the name and I know it is typed in correctly.
 I must be a Windows thing, only I can't figure out the MS black magic of
networking.

I have installed the latest Win98 VPN adapter(s), running 128 bit security,
the VPN server is doing port forwarding; everything checks out server side.

Why won't Win98 allow me to map a drive on the internal network?...
any help, recommdations, tips or otherwise will br GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thank you,
-Michael