[pptp-server] Server may ping client, client unable to ping server

Tom Canich tcanich at geosc.psu.edu
Thu Jun 7 19:00:28 CDT 2001

Hi,

I'm running pptpd on a linux box with iptables.  Iptables is currently set
with default allow and masquerades for my internal LAN.  We are trying to
connect a remote client running windows 98 to the LAN, but to no avail,
The client connects and receives a remote and local IP address.  I can
ping the client's IP from the server, but the client is unable to send any
traffic back to the LAN.

We initially had iptables configured to be more stringent, but loosened it
up, thinking perhaps that was causing all the trouble.  Unfortunately this
has not solved anything.

The windows 98 computer has all of the latest updates (as of 8:00 EST
today :) ).

Any thoughts?

tom