[pptp-server] Server may ping client, client unable to ping

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Fri Jun 8 10:40:21 CDT 2001

Tom Canich [mailto:tcanich at geosc.psu.edu] wrote:
> On the LAN i am using 10.0.0.x for all adressing (there are
> only 3 nodes). The PPP interface can have an IP from
> 10.0.0.4-10 for both local and remote.  Do these need to be
> different ranges? (grabbing at straws now).

AFAIK, you only need one local ip.  However, this ip needs to be different
than the remote ip's.  I believe you can also get away with only one remote
ip, but I've never tried it.

> ProxtArp intrigues me.  I have it added to the config file,
> but it there more i need to do.../me looks for man page!

I have the debug option in my /etc/ppp/options file and when a connection is
made, I get a decent amount of information in my log regarding the
connection including the local and remote ip's and the proxyarp settings.
You might want to give this a shot to see what's happening.

Jamin W. Collins