[pptp-server] Windows 2000 browse and PPTP

Patrick Keys patrick.keys at forest.tele2.co.uk
Sat Jun 9 13:05:25 CDT 2001

Hello

I have been trying for ages to make a Linux pptpd server running samba 2.2.0
supply a browse list for the computers on my office network when accessing
from home. Samba is configured as a WINS server and the remote clients are
configured to use it. Most of the office computers use it as well -
unfortunately it takes longer than you might imagine to make such network
changes!

Anyway, I have been able to access office computers from home using
\\computer-name\share. I have now managed to obtain a list of remote
workgroups and NT domains - our office network consists of both. I managed
to do this by setting the workgroup of my home PC to match one of the
workgroups in the office, in this case, the workgroup that the samba server
resides in.

Unfortunately, this is where the problem lies. My home computer is also
connected to a network and normally resides in a different workgroup. I
don't particularly want to change the workgroup of my PC each time I connect
to the office (windows insists on a reboot), so the obvious question is
whether there is any way of changing this on a per-connection basis... I
have played with the logon domain option in the VPN connection box, but this
doesn't help (it probably shouldn't, anyway). Does anyone know of a way to
do this? It's probably an annoying windows problem, but it would be very
useful to sort this problem out once and for all.

Many thanks for any suggestions

Patrick