[pptp-server] Windows 2000 browse and PPTP

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Sat Jun 9 16:25:19 CDT 2001

First of all - Microsoft never intended for a "single" workstation to be a
member of multiple workgroups/domains. Thats really the function of the
Domain Controllers. i.e. Trust Relationships. Some corporations security
policies do not allow you to browse the servers in other workgroup/domains.

Anyway, In a perfect world... (according to Microsoft):

1) You should have one WINS server per LAN.
2) Each client on the local LAN will register its workgroup/domain
registration with the local WINS server on that LAN.
3) Each WINS server is then configured to do "push/pull" replication of its
database (registrations) among the other WINS servers. Usually in a star
configuration.

Unfortunately, the above perfect world is based on using MS WINS servers.
Samba WINS has similar functionality (remote browse sync), but is unable to
replicate with MS based WINS servers. :-(

FWIW: One nice feature of implementing multiple WINS servers is it keeps the
rather "chatty" browser related traffic from spanning across WAN's that link
remote offices/buildings together. Especially offices that are linked by
VPN's. Microsoft networking can (if not properly setup) kill bandwidth
across these links. i.e. Using one WINS server for multiple LANS linked by
VPN's, Frame Relay circuits, etc...

Another nice feature of using multiple WINS... your PPTP clients can
register with one WINS server and browse all the other workgroup/domains
that have replicated with that WINS server. Security permitting of course.

Thank goodness W2K is now using Active Directory (not WINS) that is based on
DNS. Much better implementation.

Steve Cowles