[pptp-server] a *bizarre* situation

John Leach john at ecsc.co.uk
Sun Jun 10 16:45:22 CDT 2001

ok an update, to rule the suspicious rpms I made out of the equation I
compiled everything from source...

Now I'm using ppp 2.4.1 patched accordingly, Kernel 2.4.3-ac14 patched
with the kernel ppp mppe patch (the 2.4.4 patch ran fine), and pptpd
v1.1.2

Then, as recommended by Robert <berzerke at swbell.net> I used the win2k
configs from his website http://home.swbell.net/berzerke.  But still to
no avail.

I've used pptp quite a lot and can usually get it working from scratch
in less than half an hour!  I've had win2k working with it fine, with
and without encryption (fully tested by dumping the passing packets to
ensure they *were* encrypted).

I'm going nuts now, I'm sure I can't be missing something simple, the
vpn tunnel is doing its job!  the packets go from A to B, and arrive
safely but win2k does not seem to recognise them as the replies it
expects.  I repeat, I've sniffed the packets actually arrive fine, after
being decrypted and passing along the network interface, but they aren't
being acknowledged by some other part of win2k, arrrrgh.

If this *is* something simple, I'm going to look very relieved and very
stupid, I'll push myself to admit this publically if I do figure out its
me being silly.

John Leach.