[pptp-server] Newbie pptp setup

Jacques Botha jacquesb at intersekt.co.za
Wed Jun 13 06:13:34 CDT 2001

I really don't get this, read through all the howto's, saw all the
ipchains to do, and only got pptp in the end

Now I don't really understand this, so if there is someone out there
patient enough to help me here, it would be most apreciated.

I'm trying to make your basic little vpn between and isp dial-up, and
the local office network with a PoPToP linux server in the office.

The linux server has a leasedline connection to the internet, and a
seccond nic to the lan.  It is also the firewall.

1) What, and How do I need to setup on my linux server ?  I gather it is
PoPToP, but what does the configuration file need to look like ?

2) Can I configure it to run through xinetd ?  How ?

3) What does the remote client authenticate against on the linux machine
? How do I set this up ?

4) How will the remote client be able to browse the lan ? Do I need
samba on the firewall machine ?

Thanks a lot

Jacques Botha