[pptp-server] Maximum number of simultaneous connections

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Wed Jun 13 22:57:32 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Andrew W. Davis wrote:

> Someone here on the list actually figgured this once in another thread.  The
> amount of the connections is limited but I believe it was above the 5000 mark.

That'll most likely be memory limitations.

However, there are other practical limitations, as exemplified in this
snippet from linux-2.2.19-orig/net/core/dev.c:

/*
 *      Passed a format string - eg "lt%d" it will try and find a suitable
 *      id. Not efficient for many devices, not called a lot..
 */

int dev_alloc_name(struct device *dev, const char *name)
{
        int i;
        /*
         *      If you need over 100 please also fix the algorithm...
         */
        for(i=0;i<100;i++)
        {
                sprintf(dev->name,name,i);
                if(dev_get(dev->name)==NULL)
                        return i;
        }
        return -ENFILE; /* Over 100 of the things .. bail out! */
}

FWIW, it has the same <=100 limitation in linux-2.4.5.

Regards,
Neale.