[pptp-server] blank username/password works!?

Andrew W. Davis awdavis at qicserv.net
Thu Mar 1 03:17:00 CST 2001

well, after a long and drawn out battle with my RH7 box, pptp is almost
ready to be unvieled to the rest of my compaines corporate drones...

I'm having 2 problems that I need to solve and I'm wondering if anyone
can help...

Problem 1:
when logging on with windows vpn clients, if I just leave the username
and password fields blank, the pptp server authenticates AOK.  This is
not good.  I'm using the samba password patch on ppp so my
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets file looks like this -->

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
  *             *       &/etc/samba/smbpasswd   *

and my /etc/ppp/options file looks like this -->

lock
debug
auth
proxyarp
chapms-strip-domain
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
# client settings
require-chap
ms-dns 192.168.10.1
ms-wins 192.168.10.1

does anyone else with my setup have this problem?  I thought it may be a
case of the guest user in smbusers, but I'm not sure...

Ok, Problem #2:
after a while, my vpn connection just stops responding.  This ONLY
HAPPENS after a certian time of inactivity followed by the message in
the log file of "Received PPTP Control Message (type: 5)" a couple of
times.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew