[pptp-server] Yes, blank username/password works!

Dread Boy dreadboy at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 2 01:37:17 CST 2001

Yeah, and on top of all this it doesn't seem to matter what I log in as, my
username and password don't get carried over to SAMBA for authenticating
with server shares.

i.e.  Whether I use a valid username/password or the blank, I still can not
access resources (or possibly ACLs) on the servers even with valid
usernames.  On my local LAN it's no problem, but remotely, it doesn't seem
to know who I am while I'm logged on.

For example, when I click a share locally on my SAMBA server, I can get into
it and have certain rights based on my username/password.  I don't even have
to think about it.  "security = user" in /etc/smb.conf
However, when I log in remotely with Windoze using my PPTPD Linux server,
when I even try to access the server itself (let alone the share) it keeps
asking me for the IPC$ administration password as if it was an NT server.
It doesn't matter what I enter here, I can't get any farther.

Does PPTPD know my SMB username but not my password, or vice versa?  I
thought maybe because it was encrypted using libsmbpw.so that maybe it
couldn't figure it out, but then using chap-secrets plain-text passwords
don't cut it either.

Anyone know what this is all about?

Geez, I thought this whole PPTPD Linux server was gonna be at least a
weekend of work, but it's turning out to be months worth of work.