[pptp-server] a question about pap-secrets file

David Luyer david_luyer at pacific.net.au
Thu Mar 8 01:04:43 CST 2001

> Hi!
> I have a pptp server installed and operating ok. The authentication is
> done using RADIUS server:
> in /etc/ppp/options I have added the login option
> I have installed PAM module for RADIUS authentication (pam_radius_auth.so)
> in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets i have:
>
> # Secrets for authentication using PAP
> # client	server	secret			IP addresses
> *               pop       ""                           *
>
> My question: is there a way to bypass the need to have an /etc/passwd
> entry for each user that will have to use the vpn ?

I have successfully set up a server using PoPToP, portslave and zebra but there
was a lot of manual coding involved.

If you need the other benefits (such as RADIUS usage accounting) it may be
worth the effort.

I ended up using portslave-1.2.0pre12, pptpd-1.0.1, zebra-0.86 and applying
many patches based on portslave-2.0A1 as well as local patches and adding a
local script to remove duplicate pptpd logins from the one IP before the system
was completely stable and reliable for a all the users it was supporting.
That was mostly done mid-late last year so there may be some improvements
to portslave around by now so that it would take less effort, but last I
checked the project was forked into 2-3 branches and not getting along well
at all.

David.
--
David Luyer                                        Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Engineering Projects Manager   P A C I F I C       Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693