[pptp-server] PoPToP localip/remoteip DHCP Question

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Sun Mar 11 14:28:39 CST 2001

I have a question concerning the settings for localip and
remoteip in pptpd.conf

My setup:

Work (pptpd server):

  Linux Mandrake 7.2
  Samba 2.07 (WINS server)
  pptpd-init-1_0_1-1_i386.rpm (installed)
  Cable Modem
  Linksys cable/dsl router (Forwarded port 1723 to server)
  DHCP valid client IP ranges 192.168.7.20-100

Home (client)

  Windows 98SE
  Cable Modem

First, I don't understand what I should set localip to. Should it be set

to my server DHCP IP range 192.168.7.20-100? I have read the pptpctrl
page and it indicates that setting the value to 0 will force pppd to use

default IPs. Is this what I want?

Second, what should I set remoteip to? I assume the remote IP is for my
Win98 box at home. Shouldn't DHCP take care of this? I'm lost... I have
also  read the pptpctrl page and it indicates that setting the value to
0 will force pppd to use default IPs. Again, is this what I want?

As you can tell I'm fumbling around with this one.  Any help will be
greatly appreciated

David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas