[pptp-server] IT WORKS (WAS: Can access shares on poptop server but nothing else!)

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Wed Mar 14 23:03:38 CST 2001

Allright guys, its WORKING!

I solved the problem of not being able to print to the laserjet 4 that
is attached to my secretary's WinME box as sec_hplj4.  This doesn't make
any sense, but this is what fixed it.

First, through the VPN connection and Network Neighborhood, I would
double-click the printer and windoze would prompt me to set-up the
printer. I would go through the setup (existing driver already
installed) and I would give the printer a logical name (RB HP Laserjet
4) -- (RB for Rankin*Bertin) This is the way I have always done it and
never had a problem.

Well, as you know, I was having fits trying to print, even after we had
solved my ip_forward problem and I could access all machines on my lan
via pptpd. Since samba shares the printer as sec_hplj4, I decided, what
the heck, let's just try giving the printer the illogical name of
sec_hplj4, which shouldn't matter because the local path on the printer
shows the correct path of \\Secretary\sec_hplj4 and the name you give it
in windoze is just for your convenience.

Well, when I did this exercise, gave a name for the printer as sec_hplj4
and hit 'print test page', BINGO, it printed to the secretary's printer
like magic. What this tells me is that the remote windows printer name
has to match the smb share name of the printer in order for the printer
to work -- at least through CUPS.

This really makes NO sense, since the printer path should control.
However, for what ever reason, samba wants the windoze printer name to
match the printcaps printer designation to allow remote printing over
vpn.

I just thought I would let everyone know what I found and hopefully
contribute to the growing body of knowledge regarding PoPToP.

Thanks once again for all your wonderful and much needed assistance.

David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas