[pptp-server] Performance difference between TCPIP and SMB traffic

robert berzerke at swbell.net
Fri Mar 30 09:06:51 CST 2001

Understand that *some* slowness is normal.  Think what has to happen to those
little packets.  (This order may be wrong..) First they are encrypted, then
encapsulated, then the routing is changed, then they are sent over the wire,
were the process is reversed.  These changes take time, although not much for
each packet.  None of these steps occur with ftp, so there is less overhead.
Now how much slowness is normal I don't know.  I'll have to do some tests
myself and post the results here later.