[pptp-server] win2k, pptpd 1.2.2, pppd 2.4.0 and Linux 2.4.2

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Fri Mar 30 21:08:53 CST 2001

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, robert wrote:

> Has anyone gotten W2K with encryption working on a pptpd setup running 2.2
> kernel series and/or pppd 2.3 series?
>
> To answer your question, the setup works fine with both windows 98 and 95
> clients.  I don't have access to w2k or me clients to test.
>
> Out of curiosity, is the w2k using NAT?  According to M$: If the Virtual
> Private Network (VPN) client is behind any network device performing Network
> Address Translation (NAT), the L2TP session fails because encrypted IPSec
> Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) packets become corrupted.

Perhaps they mean that Authentication Header (AH) packets include an IP
component in the hash, and can't be masqueraded. AH packets are another
type of IP packet, as are GRE (used by PPTP) and ESP. AH and ESP are part
of the IPSec architecture, and may be used by IPSec clients. They could
also be wrapped around GRE packets, I guess.

Are you use that the M$ posting concerned PPTP VPN, and not IPSEC?

  Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada