[pptp-server] Bug with pppsmbnoblank.patch

Chen Shiyuan csy at hjc.edu.sg
Sun May 13 12:51:37 CDT 2001

Hello!

I was trying to find the patch for the blank username/password bug in
the smbpasswd patch file and after searching through the mailing list,
finally found a few at :-

http://www.hattaway.co.nz/raidpatches

But they appeared to have bugs in them. I couldn't get the other two
blank_*.diff to work.

To get the pppsmbnoblank.patch to work, I have to add an extra valid
entry into my chap-secrets file or else I will keep on receiving the
following error message :-

/usr/sbin/pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for
it to use to do so.

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
*               test    &/etc/ppp/smbpasswd     *
test            test    abcdef                  *

If I remove away the "test" entry, the above error message will return
again. And when I add it in, all goes well except that the log file
says :-

pptpd: CTRL: Client w.x.y.z control connection started
pptpd: CTRL: Starting call (launching pppd, opening GRE)
pppd: no secret in samba secret file /etc/ppp/smbpasswd
pptpd: GRE: Bad checksum from pppd.
pppd: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
pppd: Using interface ppp0
pppd: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
pppd: no secret in samba secret file /etc/ppp/smbpasswd
pppd: no secret in samba secret file /etc/ppp/smbpasswd
pppd: MSCHAP-v2 peer authentication succeeded for guestuser
pppd: Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
pppd: local  IP address w.x.y.z
pppd: remote IP address w.x.y.z

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem or know of any known
working patch that solves the blank username/password problem? I looked
through the mailing list archives and the closest I could find was some
acknowledge that it existed plus the above patch and other one posted on
the mailing list which is distorted.

Many thanks in advance!