[pptp-server] Big Problems with any poptop Version

Harald Scharf harald at scharf.co.at
Fri May 18 08:17:56 CDT 2001

hello to all,

i have some very big problems with any version of PoToP.
The access from a single Client seems to be no probelm, but now
i have a client, that wants to connect a whole network to the central site,
wich runs poptop (1.0.1).
Because of cost reasons, the client put a Zyxel Prestige 312 ADSL Router
to the other site and put a Windows BDC behind the NAT Router (which
supports pptp of course).
The connection goes up without any problem, and any stateless protocol seems
to pass the VPN without any problems (Ping, DNS Query....).
But if want to establish a statefull (TCP) connection, the only thing i
get back
is the Escape Character, and the connection hangs. The same thing
happens on the Routers Character Console.

I putted an ethernet sniffer to the network and examined the IP Packets ->
They are completely empty.

OK, i canceled the Zyxel Router and used the Micro$oft RRAS (Steelhead)
Multi Protokoll Router on the BDC.
Again, the connection goes up, and (ooh look, the same Configuration)
i can send Data over the VPN link (with TCP, ICMP, UDP....  :-),
but when i try to transfer a bigger amount of data i get a :

not enough space tp encrypt packet : 1504<1504+4

and the connection hangs.

I tried several other solutions with non poptop Clients at the Router
Side, and
it ever failed very hard. (No Connections, Encrypting Problems,
Decrypting Problems....)

Please Help!
Any idea whats happening ?

regards