[pptp-server] pppd authentication via system passwords?

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Fri May 18 19:31:28 CDT 2001

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Joost Bijl wrote:

> currently i'm working on a project which involves some VPN parts.
>
> I can't get it to work for the pppd to authenticate it's users to the local passwd database.
> There are patches around which will authenticate against a smb server but that's not a real option.
>
> i use pppd 2.4.1 and pptpd 1.1.2 (pppd is patched to support mppe as is the kernel)

Sounds like you're trying to mix encrypted passwords and CHAP?

If so, you're flogging a dead horse - CHAP *requires* access to the
unencrypted password (or in the MS-CHAP case, a hash thereof) at both
ends.  IIRC, MPPE depends on MS-CHAP - so MPPE won't mix with encrypted
passwords either.

HTH,
Neale.