[pptp-server] how to get natted/masqued client to use poptop

HVR hvrietsc at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 17:08:13 CST 2001

i have multiple clients behind a linux box doing NAT/MASQ: the first
client can connect just fine but once i start a 2nd one it somehow uses
the same tunnel and things get really screwy.

i searched the archives and found the trick to use ip aliasing on the
pptpd server but then all the clients need to know which ip is free and
which is used. another problem is that i will have dozens of clients so
extra ips are not a scalable solution.

now i am aware that this will break the pptp standard, but i have been
told that the M$ implementation of pptp server will do this just fine
buti really would like to create a linux based solution (if only to show
them you do NOT need windows in here).

Any leads/pointers on how i can solve my problem, if need be i will hack
up the source code for pptpd, if someone can tell me were to start looking.

H.