[pptp-server] poptop compression

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Tue Nov 13 08:43:37 CST 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, greg wrote:

> I get the error "compression disabled by peer".
> After much research I'm unable fix the problem.
> The bsd_comp and ppp_deflate modules are inserted.
>
> Does anyone know the procedure to enable software
> compression.

There isn't one. The only compression supported by the MPPE protocol uses
a proprietary algorithm which needs to be licensed. You won't be seeing it
supported by (a publicly available) PPP daemon any time soon. [The
compression isn't handled by PoPToP itself, so it's the PPP daemon which
is relevant.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739