[pptp-server] Really Unusual

Joe Polcari Joe at Polcari.com
Wed Nov 21 14:17:07 CST 2001

How do I get a traffic dump from the input side of a pptp connection.

corporate remote net=192.168.0/24
vpn remote IP=192.168.2.3 (wierd, huh?)
vpn local ip=192.168.0.xxx
nat to my local home net on 192.168.1.xxx
all this happens on my dual if local machine 192.168.1.4 (eth0)
which gateways the my local 192.168.1/24 home net to the pptp vpn
and to the internet through a second if 192.168.2.100 (eth1) connected through a
router/cable modem.

normal default static route is to the 192.168.2.100 which gets replaced with
192.168.2.3 during pptp connection.

Everything works fine except this:
when I browse (http) through the vpn it works fine unless the ip is in the
192.168.0 net.
In this case I can get and "/" url, but if I try anything else other than /, the
connection times out.
i.e. http://192.168.0.10 works ok and http://192.168.0.10/ works ok, but
http://192.168.0.10/anything doesn't.

Thanks,