[pptp-server] mppe solution

Daniel Sabourin dsabourin at btsi.ca
Thu Nov 22 13:18:47 CST 2001

I have finally found the reason I was getting problems when trying to
connect with encrypted data.

I was getting ppp-compression-18 not found in my syslog.

What you have to do is recompile the kernel and putting the ppp options in
network options as MODULES, even (especially) the first ppp option.

After doing this, I was connecting at 128 bit encryption.

Before, I was compiling all the ppp options in the kernel (putting y instead
of m). The pptpd and ppp would work, but without encryption only.

I don't know if this was already written somewhere but I've been browsing
and searching the archive for 2 weeks now and all I found is other people in
my situation and no solutions.

...hope it helps.