[pptp-server] pptpd speed

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Wed Nov 28 10:42:19 CST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, ACEAlex wrote:

> 1. My "server" box that runs pptpd is on adsl. When downloading directly
> from the box with for example ssh i get 50kb/s,, when i go through the pptp
> i only get 20-30 kb/s, is this ok?

What is your CPU? Encryption takes CPU, as does multiple cooperating
processes (pptpd and pppd).

> 2. Now there are several patches that needs to be applied to both the kernel
> and pppd. Are there any plans on trying to merge them with the real kernel
> source so that you get them all the time. I mean now when they start on 2.5
> would be a great idee to try to get the microsoft encrytion included :).

I think that there are license and/or patent issues that have prevented
that up to now.

> 3. Wouldnt it be nice to bring the webpage up to date. There seams to be
> alot of people knowing over 1000 times more than what you can read on the
> webpage.

So start a new web page. I think some of the folk here have actually done
that.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739