[pptp-server] IAS / RADIUS

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Nov 29 22:02:28 CST 2001

Steve,

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 05:12:01PM -0800, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> I'm interested in the idea of using poptop in a protected network, and
> authenticating against a Windows NT domain.  The obvious way to do this
> would be to install IAS on a machine in the domain, and have the VPN server
> use RADIUS for authentication.  I presume IAS can authenticate MS-CHAP
> logons (It Microsoft, after all), so the only missing piece would be to let
> poptop use RADIUS, right?

> Can this be done?

Not yet.  PPTP authentication under Linux is handled by pppd; right now,
there's a patch that lets you do MS-CHAPv2, and a patch that lets you do
RADIUS authentication, but there's not yet anything that lets you do
MS-CHAPv2 authentication over RADIUS. :)  I'm working on such a beast,
although it will be a bit before I have anything to show for the work.
Interoperability with IAS seems like a reasonable goal.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer