[pptp-server] RADIUS support through portslave

Vieri Sacchi vieri.sacchi at linuxexperts.it
Fri Nov 30 11:08:15 CST 2001

HI,
 I'm trying to make PPTP clients authenticate to RADIUS through
portslave, as I see that many people have done it successfully. It's not
clear to me how it's supposed to work, anyway.

I did the following:
1) I compiled and installed the following
    - pptpd-1.1.2
    - portslave-2001.11.17.tar.gz
    - xtradius-1.1-pre2.tar.gz
    - ppp-2.4.1.tar.gz
    - kernel 2.4.13-ac8

2) I added the plugin option to ppp option file so that it loads
libpsr.so at startup

3) I configured the pslave.conf file so that pseudo terminal pts/n are
used (n ranging from 0 to 255)

4) when I start the connection, ppptpd invokes pppd, which exits because
the plugin exits with the message "Bad environment"

I had a look at portslave code and I found out that the plugin expects 3
environment variables be set (which cause the above error message) and,
moreover, it needs the session structure thisauth be initialized.
Now, as this initialization is done by the main, that is by portslave
itself, it's not clear to me how pptpd can activate portslave's
RADIUS-ready pppd without interacting with portslave itself (pptpd and
portslave ignoring each other)

Is there anybody who has managed to make pptpd authenticate to RADIUS
willing to give me a hint? Am I missing anything?

Thanks a lot in advance
    Vieri