[pptp-server] IAS / RADIUS

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Nov 30 10:50:21 CST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 10:15:04PM -0800, Steve Jorgensen wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  Now I'll probably make a fool of myself by
> speculating about things I know very little about.

> Trying, in my mind, to expand upon what you said, I'm guessing that the
> reason PPP(TP) authentication through RADIUS does not now do MS-CHAP, et
> al, even if the RADIUS server can do it for you is that the interface to
> RADIUS is through something like PAM and is a plain-text only API?  If I
> guessed that right, it seems like a direct like to RADIUS would be nice
> because it would allow for any kind of password hashing the RADIUS server
> knows even if it is newer than the implementation of PPTP, be it a
> Microsoft thing, some new Cisco thing, or whatever.  Another thought would
> be to enhance PAM itself to provide more complete access to extra
> functionality of RADIUS.

pppd actually doesn't use PAM at all for this, by default; PAM is a very
bad fit for pppd, so the upstream source includes its own module API
that provides hooks for other /PAP/ authenticators.  I'm working on
adding hooks for CHAP authenticators, and I have a CHAP module working
that authenticates against RADIUS, but it's all very kludgy right now.
I'm still struggling with getting MS-CHAP done right on the wire against
freeradius (which already supports it) before trying to implement
MS-CHAPv2 on both ends.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer