[pptp-server] MSCHAPv2 + PPTP + RADIUS + Samba... guidance sought.

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Sat Oct 6 14:26:02 CDT 2001

Hello,

My employer is in the process of deploying a wireless access solution which
uses PPTP for security (since we all know WEP is useless, and IPSec is
difficult when half of your potential customers run Win98).  Our existing
server-side infrastructure is all Linux-based, right down to the PDC for our
NT domain, which is running on Samba 2.2.1a.  We use RADIUS (freeradius) for
authentication of all existing customers and for delivery of information such
as static routes & session timeouts.

The goal here is to have a PPTP server running on a Linux box that
authenticates to the RADIUS server running freeradius, which then back-ends
onto the Samba-based NT domain.

Anyone gotten anywhere close to this, or will I effectively be building from
scratch? :)

I do see a 1999 mention of MSCHAPv2/MPPE patches for Linux ppp, but it's
stated that this is a patch for portslave.  My understanding is that portslave
is only applicable when dealing with PPP over serial interfaces, so I'm not
clear on how existing patches would be integrated with a PPTP solution.  Is
portslave the only Linux ppp software that currently supports RADIUS?

If no one knows the answers, 'sok... I'll just fumble along until everything
falls into place.  But if anyone can give me a jump-start on this stuff, it
would be much appreciated. :)

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer