[pptp-server] [off-topic] PPTP on a 2 layer firewall

Paul Reed paul at bsdc.ca
Mon Oct 15 02:49:49 CDT 2001

It may not be the best solution, but this is how i would approch it:

I would use a Linux (2.4 kernel) box as a central Firewall/Router (using
iptables).

                            PopTop Server
                              (192.168.1.x/24)
                                       /\

                                       \/
                                    (eth2)
Internet ---> (eth0) Firewall/Router (eth1)<--> LAN (192.168.0.x/24)
                                    (eth3)
                                       /\

                                       \/
                      Other Servers (192.168.2.x/24)

(the /24 on the ips means a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0)

This way, the Firewall acts as a router between 4 separate networks.
I would suggest a separate NIC for each network, but you could get away with
1 external and 1 internal NIC with 3 IPs on different networks (by
aliasing).
With this setup we have the ability to see very strict rules set in place.
You can specify which machines/networks can see which servers, etc...

Only the workstations (192.168.0.x) would need to use NAT through the
router, but if the servers need to have internet access, you can setup
firewall/NAT rules on an IP by IP basis. VERY strict rules would need to be
setup on eth0 (External interface), you could still use another firewall in
front, but it would just overcomplicate things when forwarding and
NATing. As long as your rules are good, another box in front would just be
redundant.

Port 1723 and protocol 47 will be forwarded from the firewall to PoPToP
server. The Poptop server can be setup to provide IP's by login, so you can
then restrict 'joe' on 192.168.1.20 to see only 1 or two servers and not the
LAN network, but 'fred' who uses 192.168.1.21 can see all servers and all
networks. 'fred' can even be setup to use the pptp server as his internet
gateway, and you can NAT him back through, that way internet traffic to him
is filtered through your firewall aswell.

This could get very complicated, routing and firewalling is only limited by
your imagination.. :)

Hope this helps.. :)

Paul Reed
Systems Administrator