[pptp-server] Pptp is working, however something's wrong!

Steve Host shost at intellimec.com
Mon Oct 15 16:41:31 CDT 2001

Setup: Dialup clients, connecting via PPTP to Linux gateway.

Current state: client can ping any internal addresses, it can also browse
any computers and retrieve files. Printing over network is no problem.
Machines behind firewall on the LAN can not ping the clients assigned IP
address, thus they can't reach the client.

Client also doesn't see all the machines by default on network neighbourhood
(however //<name> works)

I'm mostly concerned with the seemingly one way nature of the connection,
and looking for possible causes of this.

I've set the samba server to act as a WINS server, however only the dialup
client is aware of the server. I don't believe this should make a
difference.

Forwarding rules:

/sbin/ipchains -A input -p TCP -d 0.0.0.0/0 1723 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -A input -p 47 -j ACCEPT

/sbin/ipchains -A output -p TCP -s 0.0.0.0/0 1723 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -A output -p 47 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT

The last line is because the Client's IP range is 192.168.1.150-160 while
PC's are in the 192.168.1.20-30 range

Thanks, folks.