[pptp-server] Newbie: +chapms, +chapms-v2 etc not recoginzed

Chris chris at ooc2000.com
Mon Oct 22 15:54:15 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm attempting to run PopTop 1.0.1 (my new FAVORITE daemon!) on Mandrake
Linux 8.1 (kernel = 2.4.8-26mdk), and connect  to it from my laptop, which
is running Win 2000. For now, I'm just doing things within my LAN.

Long story short, I followed the FAQ's instructions on configuring PopTop,
but when I try to connect from the Win Client I get this error on the client:

	Error 619: The specified port is not connected

And this error on the server:

	In file /etc/ppp/options: Unrecoginzed option '+chapms'

If I comment the +chapms line out of /etc/ppp/options, I get the same error
message for +chapms-v2, mppe-40, mppe-128, and mppe-stateless. (It doesn't
mind +chap though.)

If I comment all the offending lines out, and make the client connect
without encryption, I can get on the VPN no problem.

I'm new and clueless at this stuff, but I'm guessing that the problem is
that my server machine's PPP is too old and doesn't support  those options,
all of which seem to be for encryption. I'm also guessing that I can
upgrade my PPP and be just fine. But I came to the list because 1) I'm not
sure about this, 2) The instructions in the FAQ for upgrading PPP seem tied
in with upgrading the kernel, and I don't really want to mess with that,
and 3) I can't seem to find an RPM called PPP that I can just upgrade, nor
can I find what version of PPP I currently have installed. My machine does
seem to have a bunch of files with ppp-2.4.8 in their names, but I don't
know precisely what to make of this.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris