[pptp-server] Connectring is slow

robert berzerke at swbell.net
Wed Oct 24 07:51:05 CDT 2001

One explaination is time outs.  Windows is stupid.  Even though you and I can
see quite clearly that 10.0.0.7 is an ip address and not a hostname, Windows
can't.  So, it first tries to resolve the name "10.0.0.7".  Depending on your
setup, it may try to contact a wins server, then if that doesn't resolve the
name, Windows will try to use a broadcast to locate the "name".  Eventually,
that times out, and THEN it tries it as an ip address, which succeeds.