[pptp-server] The computer you're dialing in to does not support the data encryption requirements specified.

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Thu Oct 25 11:26:24 CDT 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Steve Host wrote:

> Check your /etc/pptpd.conf. If you have a line:
> options /etc/ppp/pptpd.options
>
> and in this option file you have your PPTPD options such as nolock, +chapms,
> +chapmsv2, mppe-40, mppe-128, etc
> and you also have your /etc/ppp/options file (should be pretty empty), then
> there lies your problem:
>
> Remove that options /etc/ppp/pptpd.options file from your ppptpd.conf and
> instead, take that pptpd.options file and append it to your
> /etc/ppp/options. In other words, only use one options file for PPP, not
> two.
>
> This (for some reason unknown) fixed my problem and data encryption seems to
> work fine now.
>
> So this brings closure for me.

For you perhaps. But that will cause problems for anyone who uses pppd for
anything else, e.g. for creating a dialup link to an ISP. Requiring mppe,
chapmsv2, etc for an ISP dialup link is sure to cause problems.

Although this may have solved your problem, I'd advise you to seek another
solution.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739