[pptp-server] IP address allocation

Gareth Marlow Gareth_Marlow at scientia.com
Fri Oct 26 09:49:51 CDT 2001

I have certain VPN users who should be allocated fixed IP addresses, and
others which should receive an address from the pool.

I have an address pool of 192.168.0.39-44 which I am using for fixed
addresses and 192.168.0.45-58 which I am using for the pool addresses. The
PPTP server is on 192.168.0.38

The fixed addresses are being allocated correctly. Unfortunately, only the
first address in the pool range is being allocated to pool users, so I am
getting multiple people all being given 192.168.0.45 - obviously things
then stop working for everyone.

Any ideas?

/etc/ppp/options:
debug
lock
auth
name server
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
proxyarp

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets (example):
fred * password1 192.168.0.39
john * password2 192.168.0.40
jane * password3 *
anne * password4 *

/etc/pptp.conf:
debug
speed 115200
localip 192.168.0.38
remoteip 192.168.0.45-58

/etc/inetd.conf (relevant line):
pptpctrl stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/sbin/pptpctrl 0
0 0 0 1 192.168.0.45-58 0 --buffer--

So here, if all users logged in simultaneously, fred is getting 38, john
is getting 40 and jane and anne are both getting 45.

Help!

Gareth

--
Systems Manager, Scientia Ltd. and Fontal Ltd.