[pptp-server] Re: UNSUBSCRIBES

Christopher Schulte christopher at schulte.org
Thu Sep 6 11:24:23 CDT 2001

ATTN: pptp-server members, if you see more people who can't get off the
list (for whatever reason, I don't care) please don't argue.  Just send me
a message and I'll take care of it ASAP.  Some people simply cannot read
and follow directions.  This will not change.  The best bet is for me to
hold their hand, unsubscribe them manually.  They'll go away and bother
other people.

> > The unsubscribe for this list is NOT automated.

It most certainly is, if you follow the instructions properly.  If not, all
bets are off.

> > I tried unsubscribing almost 3 weeks ago and I still get the mail too.

You sent a message to the list on Aug 6 trying to unsubscribe.  That is the
improper procedure.

Aug 06 12:27:01 2001 (24217) pptp-server post from pstarzew at gbp.com held:
Message may contain administrivia

You cannot unsubscribe by sending messages to the list address.  Your
messages contained administrivia.  Thus it was held in queue until Aug 13
when it was sent back to you with this explanation:

"Reason: Please do *not* post administrative requests to the mailing
list.  If you wish
to subscribe, visit http://lists.schulte.org/mailman/listinfo/pptp-server or
send a message with the word `help' in it to the request address,
pptp-server-request at lists.schulte.org, for further instructions."

All you had to do was visit that url, the same url posted at the bottom of
every message, the same url that is referenced in the help message (had you
requested it) and follow basic instructions.  It's that
easy.  Period.  Bottom line.

> > You go to unsub and you get a cute little mail message back that the
> > moderator will remove you as soon as possible and it never happens.

I've never seen that message, and I've been using this list software for
close to 3 years with millions of delivered email messages.  Unless you can
document it, I'll assume you saw the 'held posting' message and were confused.

> > You want to bitch at someone, bitch at the moderator who obviously
> > either doesn't know what he is doing, or just doesn't give a damn.

This list has no moderator.  It's user supported, with a list admin who
checks in from time to time.  I don't admin this list personally, I'm the
server admin.  pstarzew at gbp.com is now off the list.