[pptp-server] subnet gateway problem

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Fri Sep 7 09:36:24 CDT 2001

Cowles, Steve [mailto:Steve at SteveCowles.com] wrote:
> For item number three (3) above:
> Type one of the following commands to insure that there are
> no firewall
> rules blocking packets of data between eth0 and the ppp devices:
> ipchain -L -n
> iptables -L -n

I think it needs to be noted that your command for listing iptables rules
"iptables -L -n" will not reveal all rules in effect.  It is even possible
for the output of this command to give the appearance that no rules are in
effect when in fact they are.  This is due to the fact that this command
only lists the contents of the "filter" table rules.  To get an accurate
picture of what rules are in effect for iptables you need to issue at least
three commands that I'm aware of:

iptables -t filter -L -n
iptables -t mangle -L -n
iptables -t nat -L -n

Note: the first of these "iptables -t filter -L -n" is the same as your
command "iptables -L -n".  I've simply taken to explicitly noting what table
I'm working with when using iptables.

Jamin W. Collins