[pptp-server] pptp tunnel is not used for internet services

HaiDang haidang79 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 05:21:11 CDT 2001

The latter case, I think, is my case.
All the IPs in the subset (32 addresses) are static (I
guess my company didn't bother paying for just one IP
and masquerade all the rest of the machines).
Therefore, I believe they are all external IPs.

To connect to the VPN server, the client first has to
dial into an ISP. Either it has a static IP (using
DSL), or will obtain a dynamic one (using dial-up).
The dial-up is more frequent, and is what I'm applying
my Linux box to.

Our purpose is that we don't trust any IPs not in our
subnet (in other words - not within the 32 IPs we
have). The IP that the Linux box has is a static IP,
so it is visible, and I will get the right IP if I do
a ping to www.mydomain.com after I already have a VPN
connection.

The client then would have a dynamic IP assigned from
their ISP, with (probably) a different netmask from
our netmask. They will connect via VPN to our Linux,
and gets assigned one of the 32 IPs. Because the
client now has an IP within the subnet, the firewall
should let it through.

By the way, after I already have a VPN connection, I
use winipcf from the client (at home) and see that I
do get a new IP from the pool, but the new subnet Mask
is not the same as that of our Lan. It is 255.0.0.0
while our Lan subnet mask is 255.255.255.224