[pptp-server] Re: PPP problems over VPN (MPPE)

Jeff Shanholtz jsubs at shanholtz.com
Sun Sep 23 10:24:38 CDT 2001

Two things don't make sense to me yet.

After applying the patches, you still have to enable the options in the
options file, right? So I don't understand why incorporating the patches
into the official version would force ISP's to support it. And I'm sure
there are other PPP options that only 10-15% of users actually use,
aren't there? Could it really boil down to anti-MS bigotry on the
developers' part?

And as to the legality of incorporating the patches into the official
version of PPP without paying licensing fees, how is posting the patches
on the PoPToP site not just as illegal?

FYI I'm not anti-MS and I'm not anti-Linux; I use both and appreciate
both for their respective strengths and acknowledge MS's and the Linux
community's right to do things in their own ways. I'm also new to
PoPToP, so I claim no expertise on the subject. However, I, too, get
tired of dealing with kernel patches and compiles so like Jim, I am also
very interested in the reasons this stuff is required.