[pptp-server] (no subject)

Fortenberry, Thaddeus Thaddeus.Fortenberry at COMPAQ.com
Wed Sep 26 12:32:05 CDT 2001

Can the Linux PPTP server talk to a RADIUS server?  If so, could you not
configure a IAS server on your internal NT/2000 network for the
authentication and accounting tasks?

Thaddeus

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Howlett [mailto:Josh.Howlett at bristol.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 6:53 AM
To: John Moran
Cc: pptp-server
Subject: Re: [pptp-server] (no subject)

You can use PAP authentication and the "login" ppp option with PAM and
pam_smb.  This works fine, but it means using cleartext passwords.  You
can't use CHAP with PAM.

Alternatively, you could dump the password hashes from your NT PDC to a
samba password file on a regular basis (say, every 12 hours).

josh.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, John Moran wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm new to setting up a vpn server, so I apologize if this question is
> stupid.
>
> I've seen how it is possible to set up pptp to use the samba password
file,
> but is it possible to configure it to get its passwords from a Windows
NT
> box, as I want to make it as easy as possible for the users to get on
as
> possible, and the network they're trying to get on to is an NT
network. I
> don't want to use an NT box as the VPN server, as I also want it to
act as a
> mail server, and don't trust the security of NT/2000.
>

> Thanks
> John

Josh Howlett, Network Supervisor,
Networking & Digital Communications,