[pptp-server] gre protocol not available - help!

Örjan Johansson orjan at whyevenbother.com
Wed Apr 3 11:56:50 CST 2002

Hi all!

After going through tons of problems I managed to get Win clients -
Linux pptp server working thanks to help from list members. But now I
think I'm losing my mind. I set up another box to verify the setup
procedure, and guess what? No luck... Here's the setup:

Redhat 7.2
Recompiled 2.4.19-31 kernel patched with the mppe-patch and configured
with all the ppp options
ppp 2.4.1 patched with mppe
pptpd 1.1.12

Now when trying to connect I get GRE: read error: Protocol not
available.
I saw a post on the subject and the guy wrote that he solved it by
it, and I thoght kernel compile would take care of it??? Here's what my
modules.conf looks like:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 3c59x
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias net-pf-47 ip_gre
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic # This will be different for 2.3.x
kernels
alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14 ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-18 ppp_mppe
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
I added the ip_gre line myself in a vain attempt to solve the
problem....

Anyone out there who can clarify this and help me out? I'd sure
appreciate it! Did I just screw up the config of my kernel or what?

Any input appreciated!

TIA,
Orjan